Application virtualization is the technology in which the application is virtually installed on the operation system and does not conflict already running applications. Today every user wants a flexible working environment and does not like to face problems. Presently some operating system support a limited application virtualization, but that is not so much effective. In that case we need a full application virtualization. Full application virtualization needs a virtualization layer that replaces the runtime environment provided by OS.
Now all the files and registry operations of the virtualized application are redirected to a single file at virtualized location. Now working or running of application becomes easier as it uses virtual resource instead of physical.
There are two type of application virtualization.
Remote Application: Remote application runs on the server. With the help of remote display protocol, a user can view and interact with their application remotely. With the seamless windows technology, the remote applications can be integrated with user’s desktop. If you have constant network connection, you can maintain the remote application virtualization.
Streaming Application: With this application, the application is executed at user’s local system. The applications are downloaded on the local system on demand. Some parts are needed to launch the applications and remaining is downloaded on background to make the performance better.
There are some benefits that the application virtualization has.
- It allows running such applications that can’t run in other environment.
- It helps in running applications using fewer virtual resources.
- Some applications that are incompatible can run through virtualization side by side at same time.
- It simplifies operation system migrations.
- This virtualization isolates applications form OS and thus improves the security.
- Reduce system migration and administration costs.
- As these applications are portable, they can be copied to portable media and can be imported to client computers without need of installation.
- With virtualization, the applications are accelerated by using on-demand applications.
- Some software that need a device driver and can be run in shared memory space can’t be virtualized.
- Software like anti-wire packages needs heavy OS integration. So they are difficult to virtualize.
- Even it can reduce and simplify the task; the knowledge for the solution complex virtualization is required and thus brings an extra work for you.
- It can create a single point of failure and can create a server or network problem.
- Some the vendors deny for the application that runs in virtual environment.
The Application Virtualization implements the application compatibility and manageability by running programs in virtual environment. Even the hardware virtualization like VMware Workstation provides virtualization, but what about a full-blown computer virtualization that can be achieved with application virtualization. With this technology, the small vendor’s applications that are made for other environment can be virtualize at the same time.
Posted By: Vijay Kumar Goyal